Saturday, July 16, 2005

Guitars

“I bought my first real six-string
down at the five and dime.
Played till my fingers bled;
it was the summer of ’69…”

Good for Bryan Adams but for me it just didn’t work that way.

As a kid I wanted to be Ace Frehley of KISS. I loved that standard KISS sound, introduced to me by my cousin Joe. It was all sex and drugs and rock and roll, but in cartoon form. Ace did these blistering Chuck Berry on speed solos (come to think of it, Chuck Berry probably did a lot of solos on speed but I digress). Later I found out they were all basically the same solo, but they still sound great.

My dad bought me a guitar for Christmas when I was 15 (which would make it the winter of ‘84). I’d say my parents bought me the guitar but Dad did all the heavy lifting. I found an ad in the paper for a Gibson Explorer II, pristine for only $600. Gibson, the best guitars around and the guitars KISS used for the most part during the good old days. And $600 was a steal for a professional Gibson guitar. I’d done my homework that much, at least.


Explorer 2

Flash to 2005: Six HUNDRED dollars? What was he thinking? He knew that I had no idea how to play guitar. He knew I loved music and likely thought that I’d appreciate the guitar so much that I would spend lots of time practicing, etc. Yet we probably could have gotten a knock-off Fender Strat for less than a hundred, including a small amp.

Back to 1984: The heavy lifting consisted not only of giving me $600 to spend but taking me to the guy who was selling it. The guitarist was a dentist who worked out in the Bush so his father was the one selling it. We should have known it was a bad sign when there was a big sign out front which said “Sanctuary.”

Inside the “Sanctuary” were all sorts of beaded tapestries and incense burning and Buddhas here and there and a strange bowl with a sign saying “Spoons.” What Buddhism has to do with spoons, I still do not know, and I’m pretty sure that Sanctuary Man was not moonlighting as The Tick, so the whole tableau looked weird beyond all expectation.

The guitar itself was, and is, beautiful.

Soon I learned that I was not a natural-born musician. I was so shy that I could not possibly have arranged to take guitar lessons and the books I borrowed from friends could only get me so far. My chubby little fingers could not make the demonic sign known as an F chord and my attention-span always fell short. I blame no one, I’ve had numerous opportunities (and 21 years) to rectify the situation but I learned that, as much as I love music and love guitar music, I am not a musician.

Flash Forward to 2005: I still own that Gibson. For years I could not sell it for fear of my father’s disapproval (it was a gift, after all, and we had to go through spoons to get it!) and for the shame of acknowledging a failure. I guess I figured that I could always learn to play “tomorrow.” Funny, I own an exercise bike for the same reason.

Actually I now own two guitars. I bought a knock-off Steinberger two years ago and have not progressed one bit. Same problem: not enough motivation to really push beyond knowing a few chords. Frustrated at how crappy it sounds when I know what good guitar sounds like in my head.


steinberger

Flash back to ’84-’87. The guitarist for my friend’s band LOVED my guitar. He actually played it in a battle of the bands because the sustain is just so great. It’s a heavy, heavy guitar. I should have just given it to him. Couldn’t have done that, it would have been breaking all of those rules I mentioned before: admit defeat to myself and my dad.

And the guitar was a source of a certain amount of poseur pride. I never admitted to *being* a guitarist, just to owning a kick-ass guitar. Every year I plinked around on it for a couple of hours until I felt like a failure again. I still have Guitar magazines with tablature for lots of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Jimi Hendrix songs.

Hendrix? God, in my dreams. Hendrix was inhuman. Hendrix was a beast. Hendrix was a god. Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Jeff Beck (remember when Beck always referred to Jeff Beck?), they were all my icons. Later Jeff Healy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani were added to the pantheon. Stevie Ray Vaughn? Never much of a fan but he was good. Bands with great guitarists: Hot Tuna, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Thin Lizzy, et al. So many al to et.

Flash Forward to 2005: I need to get the Gibson into the shop for a tune-up and an evaluation. If it’s still worth anything (from the ‘net I’ve found that a pristine one can bring in excess of $1,000) I guess it’s time to sell it. Or even give it to a promising young musician. Haven’t decided. I’ll keep the Steinberger since it’s smaller and has all the bells and whistles (plus it only cost me $300 and wouldn’t bring me that much on resale).

Funny thing: my wife wants to learn to play acoustic guitar. We could take lessons together. Wouldn’t it be strange and perhaps stupid to turn one great Gibson into two cheap acoustics and some lessons?

I’m no longer a poseur but I’ll never be a real guitarist.

Although if I start practicing tomorrow…

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sell it? Nawww, don't sell it. At the very least hang on to it until one of Joe's kids is playing in a band. (Trust me, it will happen)

Then you can pass the guitar on, while still keeping it in the family. This will not cause dishonor by selling a gift, as well as instilling some instrinsic heirloom quality to the guitar.

J-bro

Eric said...

I'm not sure about that. It's a great idea but the guitar is such a weight to carry around - not physically but emotionally. Strange but true

Anonymous said...

Emphasize the good emotional weight that it carried around, it was quite a gift from your father, who knew how much it meant to you.

So you didn't learn to play it, so what? You got plenty of time left if you want to learn. It would be a shame to have the investment in the guitar lay waste.

Just my two cents. Ultimately it is your decision. I just worry that the regret you may feel from selling it may outweigh how you feel now.

Life is so complicated sometimes, it amazes me that man ever made it out of the caves.....

J-bro

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric, thanks for your comment in my blog. I am not good in English, so posting my favorite songs is my best shot. :)
BTW, I like your guitars especially the new one. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding christian guitars and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Eric your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on christian guitars was way off when compared to Guitars and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for christian guitars for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

Anonymous said...

What up Eric! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on acoustic electric guitars for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though Guitars isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at acoustic electric guitars. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at acoustic electric guitars. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

Anonymous said...

Hey Blogger. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching resonator guitars. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Guitars is way off base from resonator guitars I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at resonator guitars. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW Eric. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on beginner guitars. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though Guitars really isn’t on the same page as beginner guitars I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at beginner guitars. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching online guitars. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Guitars is way off base from online guitars I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at online guitars. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on online guitars I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to Guitars, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about online guitars. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at online guitars. You never know you may find some good deals!

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric, Out surfing for information on bass guitars & happened upon your site. While Guitars wasn't exactly spot on, it did strike a note with me. Thank you for the really good read.

Anonymous said...

Running the risk of sounding over the top, I really have to compliment your blog. I was hoping to discover a site about blues guitar lesson, but yours was a great find. Gotta run.

Anonymous said...

As I was surfing for free guitar lesson for beginner, I found you. Good stuff here. Surfing for free guitar lesson for beginner sites, actually. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://pcttnhvf.com/tbfh/jgtx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://gyyrkxie.com/aaft/mfdj.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://pcttnhvf.com/tbfh/jgtx.html | http://adfcqgip.com/suao/msju.html

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Sylvania 6420ff tv Personal finance and investing advice and links for