September 1, 2007 - 6:49AMA cat in Sydney's eastern suburbs was taken to a vet high on cocaine and benzodiazepines.
The eight-month-old Himalayan cat arrived at the Double Bay clinic on Monday morning with dilated pupils and a racing heart after being accidentally locked in a cupboard overnight, Fairfax newspapers reported.
It was having trouble walking, was easily startled, paced incessantly and was too anxious to have a thermometer inserted into its rectum, said a report in this month's edition of Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.
The owner was adamant the cat had not been exposed to drugs, mouldy food or toxic plants.
But when the vet phoned the owner's wife, she admitted the cat could have licked "plates of cocaine" which had been served at a dinner party two days earlier.
A drug screen also revealed benzodiazepines in the cat's system.
The owner was counselled and allowed to take the cat home as there is no legal requirement for vets to report such cases to the police.
Saturday, September 01, 2007
Anxiety (another sphincter reference)
From the Syndey Morning Herald (emphasis added by me):