I’m talking about the political rhetoric these days. For instance:
1) Florida Rep. Alcee Hastings on Wednesday warned two minority groups to beware of Sarah Palin because “anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks.” (FoxNews)
What? Firstly, moose is kosher (albeit not without the proper slaughtering techniques and supervision). I’m not Jewish but I’m pretty sure the Jews and the moose have a reasonably decent relationship. I can’t find any evidence of blacks having moose difficulties either.
Leave the moose out of it Representative Hastings. Dumbass. *
2) During Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sara “Skinny G” Palin’s interview with Charlie Gibson “Gibson alluded to McCain's recent statement that
Alaska's proximity to lent Palin some expertise on that nation, asking Palin to explain. Russia
’They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see
Russiafrom land here in Alaska-- from an island in ,’” (LA Times) Alaska
Stop it. Here’s a map.
Here’s the Wikipedia entry. Nothing of significance is on either Little Diomede (
The distance between
We are close to
So except for wanting our natural gas pipeline to go through
3) The Obama campaign ran an ad saying McCain is so out of touch technologically that he doesn’t even use the internet or send email.
Who the falafel cares?
Apparently, due to his POW related injuries, he gets shoulder aches when he uses a keyboard or does other repetitive tasks so he relies on his wife or his staff to do these things.
What President is sending his own emails anyway? Do you think George Bush types “OMG we need 700 Brazillian dollars? What’s the exchange rate anyway on those – LOL !”
Your staff does that sort of thing, that’s why you have them.
4) I want to give Skinny G’s folks the benefit of the doubt but they come off as aloof and inept. She won’t answer questions including whether she supports Don Young or Ted Stevens. (Politico)
From this Alaskan’s point of view she should have a public opinion on that. Either she’s a loyal Republican supporting two senior statesmen despite current controversy or she’s a maverick standing against her party for the good of
She also won’t let her staff or her husband comply with subpoenas or aid the investigation surrounding a simple personnel issue. This begs the question why won’t she just say, look, here’s the deal” and get it over with.
It’s clear we have a lot at stake with this election. So let’s cut the crap and make the candidates talk about real issues in a clear and calm way.
Is that too much to ask?
* This reminds me of Blood On The Snow, a true moose story. I crack myself up.Photos:
Russia Alaska Map