Thursday, November 08, 2012

PeBloProMo

CASE:  I haven’t written prose on my blog regularly in a very long time.

FACTORS: 

Fear.   I cannot write about directly work-related items any longer due to company policy.  The company also has a fairly strict policy about “do not shame your company.”  I like my job and don’t want to do anything to jeopardize it.   As long as I work in the coal mine, any story I tell will be from the viewpoint of a coalminer but I have to be much more careful about discussing the mine itself. Also – I often get quite cheeky and irreverent in my writing.  I have to be careful not to say something so outrageous that it attracts the attention of the mine operators.  Practically speaking, this shouldn’t be much of a problem but I have to be willing to take this risk every time I put ideas out into the public domain.  

Time.  Time is always a factor, more mentally than anything.  I don’t get a lot of “me” time and I am almost never all by myself    I write best late at night while listening to music on headphones but then again, a dad’s gotta sleep when he can.

ACTION PLAN: 

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) to encourage folks to write the novel they’ve always wanted to write. My youngest brother did NaNoWriMo last year and I considered it this year but I certainly can’t commit to that kind of output.  What I can do is make November my Personal Blog Prose Month PeBloProMo. 

Keep an eye on this blog for continual updates this month and we’ll see if it becomes a habit again.