John's been a long time visitor and I have always appreciated his supportive comments.
Here are the rules of the meme: Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves. People who are tagged write a blog post about their own 8 random things and post these rules. At the end of your blog you need to tag 8 people and post their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
I'm not going to tag anyone but here are my eight things:
1. I hate food which has been stored in ZipLoc bags. I can smell the plastic odor on whatever the food is (well at least porous foods). I have been mocked but it's the cross I bear.
2. For someone who is not at all religious, I take as many opportunities as I reasonably can to improve my religious literacy. It used to be so I could argue with true believers more effectively but now it's so that I know the rules of the game and understand cultural references. I am still woefully ignorant but every little piece of knowledge helps. For instance, I find the story of Shadrach, Meshack, and the Indigo Girls very comforting (in a Lilith Fair kind of way).
3. I am a third generation Alaskan yet I have very few Alaskan skills. I don't hunt, I don't fish, I don't climb mountains, I don't camp, I don't ski, I can barely ice skate. I'd be the worst tour guide for guests visiting my state. The best I could do would be to point them in the right direction to actually see something Alaskan. Oh and warn them of which parts of Los Anchorage they would be most apt to be accosted by a hooker or crack dealer.
4. My favorite outdoor activity is basketball. I suppose one could play that indoors but unless there was snow on the ground I can't see the point. I am so woefully out of shape and haven’t played in years though.
5. Along those lines I'm currently trying to seriously lose weight for the first time in my big fat life. I'd whine about it but it's my fault for being where I am, so there we go. So far, so good. I'm about three weeks into it and have lost 15 lbs. I still have the equivalent of more than an Olsen twin to go though so it's slow work.
6. I listen to a ton of audiobooks but that's because I find it very difficult to sit down and read a book these days. Some folks have accused me of ADHD but I think that would be a cop-out. I'm not saying ADHD isn't real (although I'm sort of an agnostic on that topic as well as the whole God thing).
7. I really hate MySpace but I've reconnected with friends through it, there so there's that. I still hate it. I'm not even sure why.
8. As much as I hate MySpace, I love blogs. I enjoy writing this one and I enjoy reading other blogs. I have to reorganize this one though. I think I might do a wholesale template change on it. The darkness isn't really what this thing is about. It's really not what I'm about (although I still like skeletons for reasons I don't quite understand). We'll see.
Like I said, I'm not tagging anyone else but I appreciate John for dragging me out of my blog-funk. Hopefully this will inspire me to post more frequently.