Thursday, May 22, 2008

Living The Dream

I am fascinated by people who feel “called” to do something.

Patti DiVita had such a calling, in her case to make a positive film about restaurant wait staff. The result is “Did I Say Thousand Island?”

Here is a quote from her website:

Hi, I'm Patti DiVita. I'm a waitress, not a filmmaker. But I know I was called to make this movie. It's a romantic comedy, based on the incredible things I've seen in 30 years as a waitress.

I knew zippo zilch nothing about making a movie. So I read everything I could about how to make an independent film.

It was crazy. Everything about this movie just kept falling into place. I got actors and crew through word of mouth.

When I was writing, I felt like an antenna. The movie was already out there and I was the one who got to write it. I don’t care what you call it — synchronicity, the universe putting it in my way, for me it’s God. I'm not looking for world peace, but how about a little politeness?

Here’s a nice little article about the movie and the waitress behind it.
Waitressing: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Download her movie or, better yet, buy her DVD.

also:

Celebrate: National Waiters and Waitresses Day (which was May 21)

On that note, your friends at the Panic Blog wish to remind you:

Servers are not servants.

They put up with your bullshit because they are paid to do so.
Part of that payment is in the form of tips so please tip appropriately.
By appropriate I mean well.

1 comment:

Patti DiVita said...

Hello Eric!

I don't know if you still will get this, but the is Patti DiVita. I just a few moments ago came across your blog! Gosh, thank you! It's funny as I had stopped trying to promote the film as I ran out of money and energy. I now live back in Canada and for some unknown reason, the movie is coming back alive. If you go to Mininova and search, you will find it there with some interesting stats. Well thank you again for such a kind message. I would like to know more about you and how you found the movie to begin with. Thanks again, cheers, Patti DiVita