Friday, April 22, 2005

K and the letter 'S'

I have a friend and coworker named C.


C is the best coworker anyone could have: she’s a great sounding board, a perfect person to give me a reality check, and is sure to have my back at all times. She’s also pretty protective about her anonymity so if you don’t know her name, I'm not spelling it all the way out (and in that way, I have her back).

If you read later about a coworker whose name starts with a C, don’t guess that I'm talking about this C. But I digress.

C’s husband K is a very smart guy. C has graced me with a fair amount of K’s wisdom over the years, usually to my amazement and awe. Once, however, I threw the BS flag at a piece of K-nowledge.

C and K have been vacillating for years about whether to get a dog. K grew up with dogs and likes the idea but neither is necessarily able to spend as much time with a pet as is recommended. Much of the other pros and cons have been tossed back and forth but on one point K has always remained firm: the dog has to have a name which begins with the letter ‘S’. It seems that K read or was told somewhere that dogs can hear the letter ‘S’ better than any other letter.

What kind of crap is that? I remember thinking if not actually saying (although I could have very well told C this when she told me of the ‘S’ theory). I think I might have actually gone on and on about how retarded this theory was. This was all probably six months ago.

Fast forward to this afternoon on the way home from the hospital with my grandmother and my mom (my grandmother was dehydrated to the point of nearly collapsing and we had to get her re-inflated). We had stopped at my grandmother’s vet’s office to pick up some medication for my grandmother’s cat and somehow the conversation turned to dog names. My grandmother said something to the effect that she had heard that dogs should be named two-syllable names. Then my mom dropped the ‘S’ theory on us. And it occurred to me:

I had three dogs growing up: Susie, Sasha, and Shaka.

I asked my mom, “is this why our dogs all had S names?”

“Yep, worked out well didn’t it?” was my mom’s response.

Holy crap.

To C and K, I hate to admit it but you were onto something.

Upon further review, the BS penalty has been reversed.
First Down, K.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our dog hated the "S" sound. If she heard an extended Sssss, she'd fix a look at you. If she was pointed at during the Sssss, she would growl. Go figure. Hated the Sssss.