Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Voices In My Head

At work I talk to a lot of folks with schizophrenia and other mental health issues. While emergency calls often require abrupt, controlling, and sometimes pretty rude behavior from me, I do my best to treat everyone as I would like my family to be treated. Mental health consumers can and do often have real problems, not just imagined ones.

Something odd occurred to me a couple of years ago and I don’t know if this is an original idea or maybe something a comedian came up – but it’s true.

Of everyone who hears voices in their heads, why don’t some of the voices say “go see a movie,” “wash your car,” “pet a puppy,” or something else positive?

Why is it always “You are the Christ risen; kill your parents!” Is it that we just never hear from the folks with ‘good’ voices?

Hmmmmm…

Currently the voices are telling me to eat candy, but I know they lead me astray so I shall resist… I must resist!

E