Sunday, May 22, 2005

Lies Lies Lies

Perhaps it was the time period in which I was born.

I was born in the year of Woodstock and in the time between then and when I was 5 years old the country saw the end of the hippie movement (screw you, Charles Manson); the death of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison; and the resignation of the President of the United States for being a dirty liar.

I learned that, even though I am a Caucasian male, the Man is always trying to keep the Brother down. Music was meant to be threatening but also a force of change. Most great bands did not show pictures of themselves on the covers of their albums because band members were so ugly (bless them).

The biggest lesson I learned is that the government, corporations, and any groups or individuals will lie to get what they want or to justify their actions. Soldiers are to be admired and thanked for their service but there has not been a war or police action in my lifetime that I would fully support (if memory serves). Viet Nam and Iraq are the biggest examples but I remember being of draft age and not wanting to be drafted to go to war in Honduras.

Which brings me to Jane Fonda.

Jane Fonda was an idiot during the Viet Nam war. Protesting the war was her right and duty as an American. Sitting on an anti-aircraft gun pointed at American troops was wrong. Would I have done something so stupid when I was my late teens or early twenties? Maybe. Would I do something so stupid and wrong now? No.

Two folks yesterday told me they were not going to see Monster in Law because of Jane Fonda. Then they both told a story of Jane Fonda being handed slips of paper by prisoners of war and then turning over them over to the captors. I knew about the anti-aircraft gun (there are pictures and film of that) but had never heard this other more nefarious story.

The story is a big fat lie.

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

The other stories are true and Fonda deserves to feel horrible for her actions. She should apologize NOT during a movie or book promotion for a change. She deserves people not going to see her movies because they don’t like her politics.

But America is all about free speech and the right to have beliefs in opposition to the governing political party. Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, the Dixie Chicks, and Bruce Springsteen are entitled to their opinions and if they have a bigger audience then good for them. If they are full of crap, their audience will leave them.

People who put themselves on a pedestal usually have fairly obvious feet of clay; there is no need to propagate lies against them.

Personally, I’m not seeing Monster in Law because it’s a J-Lo chick-flick. That’s just me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I wanna go see that movie.

K

Anonymous said...

Yeah, J-bro likes the J-lo.

(well.... except Gigli.....)

J-bro