Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I love

The rain. It’s raining like a mother outside. Roof gutters overflowing, big “chubby rain” drops rocketing down to a final splash, running down the streets. Gentle wind, the rain pounds straight down, dragging away the dust and dirt and debris (and glacial silt, Dorene) with it. Everything smells clean and wonderful. Powerful weather; powerfully displayed.

Home. Home after an involuntarily long day at work. Off duty officer with a suspect at gun point yelling at a citizen to tell us he needs assistance. Types 25 words a minute with each finger, that one. Everyone racing, help on the way. No one gets hurt. A happy thing. A draining thing. Adrenaline dumping and flowing through all of us, leaving us elated and tired afterward. So tired.

Kelli. Home to Kelli after said long day. So happy to see this tiny little girl that I am incredibly in love with. Just to hold her in my arms, to hear her voice, to smell her hair. Amazing and miraculous every time.

I have a lot of love today.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work....love is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

As the rain continues to pour, after an exceptionally draining day at our work, it is somehow soothing. As I watch the special report on Hurricane Katrina stories courageous and often sad, I have to be thankful of what I have. It seemed like such a rough day and then I watch the TV and again am reminded I have nothing to complain about. We had plenty of food, shelter, and safety. When I got home, I was greeted by my two wonderful dogs-so happy to see me and welcome me home. That too is Love.

Eric said...

Thanks anthony, now i feel all bad about what i said regarding your mother. Previous ugly reply hereby revoked, you are a welcome visitor.

And yes Sandy, that too is love and we have quite a lot to be thankful for. It's almost a riot of blessings :-)

Anonymous said...

i love the rain, too!
(and i love your blog!)

thanks for visiting twitchcraft. :)

Lindsey said...

Ok what in the world is twitchcraft........and Eric it definatly sounds like you are full of love. Her in Washington there is no rain, there hasn't been in a while, but the full of love thing must be going around. I just wrote my inlaws a letter thanking them for their support...it brought tears to their eyes they said :)

Anonymous said...

Here in Jacksonville, FL, tropical storm Ophelia dropped 3 inches of rain last night and that's expected to continue through next weekend.
Ginny & I plan to snuggle in and let it rain ... What you want to bet some chore or duty will call for me to be out sloshing around in it?

Lois Lane said...

That sounds like the perfect ending to a rough day! I love rain storms.
Lois Lane

Anonymous said...

It rained so hard and was beautiful and quiet afterwards. My 2 year old even pointed out the colorful cloud on the way to bed~ Those calls are so stressful...so glad to have everyone go home safely. So glad to go home to a perfectly loving husband too :)

Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

Spectacular! I could do without the drama at my own work and appreciate home just as much, but whole-heartedly concur that rain, home and the one you love make life worth living.

It rained buckets here today as well, and I stole away from my desk to slip off my shoes and wade into a shallow puddle at the front door of the library. Of course, I could have waded barefoot into the puddle in the womens' washroom that resulted from a toilet leak, but the rain is so much more lovely. :)

Mama Mouse said...

I love the rain ... at least the nice summer type. The spring and autumn ones can be quite cold and chilling.

Snuggling with loved ones while the rain seems to drown out all our sorrows is a wonderful and peaceful existence.

Thank you for your apprecieated comments on my blog in reference to my husband. They meant a lot to me.

BA~~36