Thursday, December 29, 2005

I Want Those Who Get To Know Me To Become Admirers Or My Enemies

Guilty Pleasure: Adam Ant songs.

Not all of them, mind you. “Desperate But Not Serious” is crap.

But I defy you to listen to “Goody Two-Shoes,” “Friend or Foe,” or even “Apollo 9” without tapping your feet and wanting to mimic the African tribal drums with your hands on desktops, car steering wheels, or even a computer keyboard.

And what a great look. This is the 80’s look to me.

And who the heck is this Johnny Cash lookin’ older dude playing guitar? He’s Marco freakin’ Pirroni, that’s who. Look at the picture below and let’s see if you can figure out who is playing drums.

Sid freakin’ Vicious, that’s who, both playing behind Siouxie Sioux at the London's 100 Club Punk Rock Festival on September 20, 1976.

Marco was responsible for a lot of the sound of the Ants and co-wrote those three songs I love. Beyond that, he’s a great guitarist who was instrumental (pardon the pun) in getting The White Stripes published. Hello!

And here's Adam singing for Trent "Nine Inch Nails" Reznor.

There’s a lot of self-loathing that goes along with listening to one’s old record collection but I challenge you to flip back through the oldies. It’s a trip down memory lane, to be sure, but it’s more than just nostalgia; it’s an opportunity to get in touch with the great old songs.

I can see uber-cool kids in Ibiza, hopped up on X and Special-K, dancing around in the foam to “Friend or Foe,” can’t you?

What is your guilty musical pleasure?

Don’t drink, don’t smoke, what do you do?
Subtle innuendos follow, there must be something inside…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I totally love Adam Ant, like totally!

Sorry. Eighties moment.

You've inspired me to lug my crates of albums up from the basement and start going through them.

My guilty 80's pleasure of the moment:
The Go Go's!!!

Anonymous said...

Classic! I was forced to clean out the final shelves of my old bedroom closet from my parent's house this christmas, and came home with some real gems - should that be the name of CDs bought in the mid-80s when one is only 14 or so...Paula Abdul, Milli Vanilli, Bobby Brown AND Whitney Houston (both pre-car wreck marriage)... Oh the list goes on. I may be indulging in the White Man's Overbite this afternoon!

smussyolay said...

i just saw a favorite local artist, dag juhlin, perform at a now once or twice a year event, the 'hoot night,' and he said he doesn't believe in guilty pleasures anymore.

i think he means that one shouldn't be guilty for liking something.

point to ponder.

Eric said...

Viki - my lips are sealed!

AM - Paula Abdul... hmmm, wasn't she famous for dancing with a cartoon?

Smussy - Now I'll never sleep (just after I got over the Pope thing as a guy who just doesnt look good in pictures). Thanks!

Deb said...

Hey, there is NOTHING wrong with liking Adam Ant, or any of the other 80s groups! I'd much rather admit to liking that than owning up to buying a Whitney Houston or Debbie Gibson album (which I did neither of, thank you very much). I no longer listen to broadcast radio anymore because, well, it's the devil. I listen to the wonderful alternative 80s stuff from my youth on Flashback Alternatives (www.flashbackalternatives.com). Best station ever - you can request songs from over 12,000 in the playlist and play on the tag board. Give it a listen. (I'm not the owner of the station/site, but I have listened, donated and participated for 2 years now). I don't feel guilty or embarrassed to admit my musical tastes at all.

Right now I'm listening to the new Kate Bush CD, and Love Spit Love. Did you see the list on my blog of 80s musicians I've seen in 2005??

PS: Sid Vicious ROCKS.

Peter Porcupine said...

My guilty pleasures? Julie London and Peggy Lee.

Perhaps I can be your enemy now? (grin)

The Catapillar said...

Adam Ant and the 80's Rock!!! My Guilty 80's Pleasure is Duran Duran.

Thanks for the comment and Congrats to your wife!!! Wow what a loss.

I am sorry you bid offer must have expired before I checked because I didnt see it there. Watch for it next week when it goes back up for rent. I also Added you to my blog roll so I will keep checking back. :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! propofol medication side effect stop smoking seminar in bettendorf iowa Half bras Fake diplomas umax ppc