Thursday, December 01, 2005

Paranoia Strikes Deep / Milky Milky Cocoa Puff

Okay it’s a weird night. I have a post in my head about songs and lyrics vs. instrumental parts, etc. But this isn’t that post. This is just a little thing about what’s on my current playlist while I let my thoughts drift and played Tumblebees on Pogo for much too long. Don’t read to much into it.

The Playlist looks like this:

1. This Little Light by Neko Case. Is it spiritual? Is it just fun? Is it gospel? Is it country? Is it bluegrass? Dunno. I just like it. It’s shit-kickin’ fast too.

2. For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield. What a great song. Eerie. It was brought to mind by listening to Crosby, Stills, and Nash’s “Helplessly Hoping” from Jocelyn’s Summer Melancholia in my car for the last week nearly exclusively. Sometimes I get hung up on one song for a while. In my teens I was a devoted fan of the Encyclopedia of Rock. It had all these great family trees of various groups done by Pete Frame. If anyone wants to get me a great gift, I think there’s a whole book of Pete Frame’s Rock Family Trees. Anyway one great CSN song, penned by Stephen Stills, lead me back to Buffalo Springfield. I could do a whole “family tree” about how I found my way to Stephen Stills but when it all comes down to it I can thank my mom and my Uncle Jon.

3. My Humps – Black Eyed Peas. Okay, at first I hated it. Even before I had ever heard it I had looked up the words because several of my coworkers were talking about how bad, yet catchy, the song was. So I did a little lounge-lizard Richard Cheese version for several days, not knowing anything about the actual arrangement. It’s actually not a bad little song. It’s no Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, or even close, and it’s got lyrics which could be good if not for the whole silly “lady lumps” thing. There are a couple of clever lyrical tricks actually. “Milky milky cocoa puff,” isn’t one of them. I don’t want no drama though.

4. Time Has Come Today – The Chambers Brothers. The nice thing about rock songs going into nearly every commercial on TV these days is that once in a while a commercial will lead you back to the original song. Definitely dated, but still fun.

5. What Sarah Said – Death Cab For Cutie. Two words: Belle and Sebastian. Not bad, in fact it’s pretty good. I’ll keep it in the rotation.

6. Flashes and Cables – Centro-Matic. Oh yes. Very nice indeed. I know nothing about the band but the lyrics are great and the music is right up my alley.

7. I Wish I Was The Moon – Neko Case. Okay, so I heard an interview with Neko Case and a clip of this song and hand to buy it too. It’s pretty great but kind of sad. Or not. I guess we all bring our own luggage on this little ride.

8. Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis – Neko Case. Find the Tom Waits version. Neko does a good job singing and captures some of the feel of the original. She’s also female, which makes more sense than Tom Wait’s gravely Cookie Monster voice. Yet, his rendition has the whole feel right. It’s wonderfully written, a grimy little joke. I love the original so.

So that’s it. Eight songs. Played probably six times each while Kelli sleeps and I cannot. Oh well. Perhaps I should try again.

Good night all.

3 comments:

smussyolay said...

did you go and download 'flashes and cables??' the real deal? that's awesome if you did.

same with 'what sarah said?'

yay.

Eric said...

I downloaded on the songs, not the albumums. I'm not quite to that level in the Cult of Smussy. But I found both songs pretty great. The melancholia disc was so great in that I had heard maybe three songs before. So I have a whole new set of branches on the Eric Musical Family Tree.

smussyolay said...

cool. i just got plans, and i can say that the whole album is great. i don't have a whole actual album by centromatic, but i have a crapload of songs on a mix disc....and i think a lot of them came from the album that 'flashes and cables' came from -- "love you just the same."

just an fyi.