Saturday, April 29, 2006

Two Books Everyone Should Read

I was going to say that these two books comprise the two testaments of Eric’s Bible, but that’s overstating it just a little.

The books are:

“The Gift of Fear” by Gavin de Becker.


I’ve talked about this before. Everyone should read this especially women and even more especially adolescent women. It advocates listening to your “sixth sense” of impending peril. It also discusses sending unambiguous messages with regard to dating.

Go buy it today!

http://www.gavindebecker.com/

While you are the bookstore (or online) buy a copy of the second testament:

“Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell.

This book and it is a great compliment to “The Gift of Fear.”

It discusses rapid cognition: the split second decisions that we make and why they are sometimes very apt and why they are sometimes quite wrong. It also mentions why people generally love tall men at first sight (bastards!) and why police departments nationwide are changing their policies with regard to high-speed pursuits.

http://www.gladwell.com/

Both are very well-written.

If I had funds for philanthropic work, I’d be handing out these books to schools, libraries, daycare centers, summer camps, youth groups, and pedestrian passersby.

But I don’t, so buy your own copy.

~~

For free, read ghost stories at my tenant’s site here: Ghost Stories.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I've read the Gavin De Becker book before - excellent read. And "Blink" is on my request list at the library already. :-)