Monday, June 20, 2005

One Trick Pony

I wouldn’t be a good paramedic.

Let me restate that: currently I would not be a good paramedic.

Am I good under pressure? Well, so far so good.

Do I get all squeamish? Not so much - so again, so far so good.

Do I dig helping people? Oh yeah.

But the reason I wouldn’t be a good paramedic, or even a first responder, would be that I’m something of a one trick pony when it comes to life-saving skills.

My one trick is electrocution. In the event that someone is being electrocuted, the recommended course of action is to whack them with a broom. This prevents the rescuer from touching the electrified individual and therefore being electrified himself.

This course of action does not, alas, work for choking, sprains or fractures, bee stings, snake bites, paper cuts, or stubbed toes. But it sure is fun. And you can tell if someone is REALLY choking if you smack them with a broomstick several times.

It definitely weeds out the fakers.

All of my coworkers know not to cough too hard around me. They also hide the brooms.

~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think maybe they should just whack that nun with a broom?

Doug The Una said...

Funny. Are they supposed to fly away from the wire?

Anonymous said...

I submit that you could cure a choking victim by a whack with a broom, you must be strategic in your whacking however.


I personally don't ever which a whacking from you.

J-bro

TLG said...

There's training for everything :)

duff said...

i should think a couple of good whacks with as broom would make one forget the pain of a stubbed toe.

therefore, your method may be more versatile than you think.