Thursday, October 27, 2005

Has anyone seen Domino ?


I want to see this movie. Mostly I want to see it because the trailers lead me to believe it will be a lot of fun: quick-cut, gritty, complex. Something like the remake of “Get Carter” but without Sylvester Stallone’s usual brand of bad acting screwing things up.

But then I read a little about the actual person who was Domino Harvey. She died of a drug overdose on June 27th this year at age 35.

the real Domino Harvey


She was born three and a half months after I was. Doesn’t seem fair, does it?

Well, not that I should have died first, that’s not what I’m getting at. It’s just that she died young. And she died bitterly.

She was undeniably unhappy. She had sold the rights to her life story but could not get script approval. Some reports say she was very upset that the script “cleaned up” some of her life (her bisexuality) but at the same time promoted itself as having some really raunchy scenes. How would you feel if you sold your story and then they picked and chose which things would be acceptable to a mainstream audience and which would not?

At the end she distanced herself from the film and all members of its production.

Oh yeah, and she was on house arrest awaiting prosecution for methamphetamine trafficking. She was out on one million dollars bail and was looking at a life sentence if convicted. She denied all charges.

While she was on house arrest she had three minders, hired to keep her from using drugs or alcohol. She was, however, taking Zyprexa, Trazodone, Clonazepam, and Mirtazapine at the time of her death so it is clear she was suffering some serious mental health issues. Her minders report she had been feeling lethargic and had been hearing voices that night as she filled the tub to take a bath. They later found her unresponsive as the result of a Fentanyl overdose.

The thing is: I want to see this movie. Yet I’d much rather see a documentary about this complex person who was Domino Harvey. I guess I’ll wait for the DVD.

If you see it in the theater, let me know what you think.

~~~

Zyprexa (generic name: Olanzapine) is usually prescribed for Schizophrenia and/or Bi-Polar Disorder

Trazadone (brand name: Desyrel) was originally prescribed for Depression but is most often prescribed for difficulty sleeping.

Clonazepam (brand name: Klonopin) is usually prescribed for Panic Attacks

Mirtazapine (brand name: Remeron) is usually prescribed for Depression

Fentanyl (brand name: Duragesic Patch or Actiq Lollipop – no kidding, a little heroin sucker) is a strong painkiller. It’s usually used when nothing else works and when the subject has chronic pain. It’s also the “knockout gas” that the Russians used to subdue the terrorists in that theater in Moscow but also killed a hundred and sixty hostages in the process. Word on the street is that some folks will chew their Duragesic patches in order to get the drug into their system faster. While I try not to judge, I think these folks might be considered "junkies."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it and I really liked it! There is a great shot of the real Domino at the end of the movie.

The movie is obviously over the top and not really based on her actual life. The opening even says "Based on a true story... sort of". So they don't try and pass it off as her real life.

But yeah. I really liked it. Another viewing and time will actually tell if I'll buy it on DVD though.

Beth

John Cowart said...

I'll wait for the DVD too but is sounds like a movie I'de like to see. I hand't heard of it before so thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Much like Beth said, it's over the top action flick not really about here life as a whole. But the movie is ultra stylish and all in all a good gun totting flick. Some funny lines too. I'll definitly get it on DVD.

Eric said...

Welcome aboard Beth and Nosympathy! thanks for the input.

And thanks always to John!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize this movie was based on a real person (sort of). Sounds pretty interesting.

Plus Keira Knightley's hot.

Eric said...

That does suck. Paxil is strange enough, I'm not sure I could take something worse. But the stuff works. Panic still happens but it's so amazing - I feel it coming and can just smile, knowing it will pass quickly. Without it I was nearly housebound. One day at a time.

Speaking of which, I'd expect Keira or Domino some Tuesday. But I guess it's not about voting.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! patent homeowner insurance policy what is paxil