Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mother Trucker



I realize that I have not posted any stories about my mom on this ol’ blog thing. This is not because I don’t like my mom or that we don’t get along, I very much do and we certainly do.

Our family history, at least in my opinion, involves the comedic accidents which have happened to us over the years. The best stories involve a certain lack of common sense from an otherwise highly intelligent family member (you be the judge as to me; I judge the rest of my family as very intelligent, bordering on the diabolically brilliant). Added injury to the insult increases the laugh quotient exponentially.

Yet I’ve come to the conclusion that my mom is the straight-man in the comedy that is our family.

Diabolically, it’s because she downplays her own considerable intelligence. She doesn’t profess genius. If she makes a silly mistake, she’s set the bar a little lower so it doesn’t seem so ironically humorous. She doesn’t revel in her successes, so if she fails a bit now and then, there’s no schadenfreude for the rest of us. It’s simply no fun to pick on her.

Consider the following two family stories:

1) Mom

My mom drove a Ford Bronco SUV from the time by parents bought it new in 1978 to when she traded it in for a new Ford Explorer twenty years later. As a physically rather tiny woman she likes to ride up high so she can get a full view of the cars ahead of her and the cars ahead of them. She also appreciates not getting stuck when the snow is deep and the roads have not been plowed during the long Alaskan winters.

The only negative to driving a big SUV (don’t EVEN comment about Iraqi oil, we need 4X4 in the winter and we produce oil in Alaska) is that it’s big. Parking in a garage takes some planning so that the mirrors don’t smash against the sides of the garage doorframe and there is still enough room to park my dad’s car. I will always remember my parent’s garage as having a tennis ball dangling from the ceiling to guide the truck in.

Twice my mom backed her truck up into the garage door. The first time she didn’t wait until the door was completely up and clipped it. The second time she backed up while the door was completely closed. The only thing remotely funny about these mishaps was the way my dad describes the splinters of garage door that landed halfway down the driveway during my mom’s second not-so-great escape from the garage. Even my dad, however, has to admit that really she’s only hit the door once every ten years. In the same time she’s never had another vehicle accident that was her fault. She doesn’t profess to be a professional driver so there’s no real joy in pointing out that she hit the door.

On the other hand…




2) Dad

The Bronco was used to haul our three-wheelers on family outings to the Knik River area where there are a lot of ATV trails. Since the tailgate of the truck folded down, it was vulnerable while in the down position to being, oh I don’t know, run into several times by three-wheeler handle bars and banging down onto the jack section of the enormous trailer. Consequently it became fairly dented on the top of the tailgate.

My father had put himself through college (and two engineering degrees) working as an auto mechanic. Added to this, he can fix darn near anything. This is a given.

So Dad very carefully and painstakingly remolded and smoothed and repainted the tailgate. He’s so demanding of himself that when it wasn’t exactly true the first time, he reapplied the Bondo and remolded it again. The second time through it was absolutely true and perfect. While a marvelous piece of artistry and craft, the fact that it practically glowed with perfection was also somewhat of a given.

The very next time we prepared for three-wheeling he backed the Bronco up to the trailer and lowered the tongue of the trailer onto the Bronco’s hitch. The trailer itself was a huge flatbed with four-foot tall wooden side slats that were slid into the bed, forming four fence-like sides .

He pulled the trailer out from the side of the house in an effort to back it up into the driveway where we could get at it from all sides, removing the wooden sides if necessary and putting them back when we were done. He had pulled the trailer so that the Bronco’s front tires were on the street and he was creeping along slowly so that the trailer didn’t get jarred too much as the back tires of the truck traveled down the little dip of a gutter between our driveway and the street.

What none of us knew was that the trailer tongue was not seated on the trailer’s hitch but was just resting on top of the ball so that only a couple inches of metal around the tongue kept the trailer attached to the Bronco.

The scene: Dad is driving truck. I was in the garage with the door open. Jason and Drew (my brothers) were in various parts of the yard.

When the truck took that final dip and my dad applied the brakes, the trailer tongue jumped up above the ball and continued forward and down. The front wooden side of the trailer smashed against the top of the tailgate, putting a huge dent into the newly minted tailgate.

After the loud “thump,” my brothers and I stood in shocked silence as we soaked in the purest moment of the day. Then we scattered like rats from a sinking ship to meet in the house and howl with laughter. Then we all ran back outside to offer assistance and condolences. My father, muttering curses, suggested that it was best for everyone that we all just go away for a while. It was as simple as jacking up the trailer again to seat it firmly on the ball hitch of the truck and backing it up and he did not need our assistance nor did he want our assistance.

We all said versions of “okay Dad, let us know if we can help,” and walked briskly back into the house to debrief.

“Oh my God! That was the funniest thing I have ever seen” was what each of us said, or words to that effect. The beauty was that for once in, well in my case probably 18 years, something major was broken and neither I nor either of my brothers were in ANY WAY responsible for it. Ya-hoo!

~~

So while my mom hitting the garage door every ten years like clockwork is mentioned here and there, the story of when the trailer hit the newly fixed tailgate of the Bronco is a memory all three brothers cherish and love retelling to this day (as recently as two weeks ago when Jason was visiting).

Mom and Dad, I love you both very much.

Dad's just more amusing.
--
Bronco pictures from www.projectbronco.com

14 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is a funny story about your mom running it into the garage door...mainly because I too did something similar to my truck I used to have. Mine involved a futon, a tonneau cover and a not big enough garage door lol.

I love reading about your family stories.

Anonymous said...

Great story about your mom. Moms are special. Cherish your mom and take the time to tell her how much she means in your life. The blog story says alot in that direction. Today is my mom's birthday. I miss her, she left this world too soon.

Eric said...

Thanks Lindsey!

Sandy, I know how much your mother meant to you and I can only imagine how much you miss her every day. Far be it for me, only recently a CIT graduate, to give advice to the CIT Dispatcher of the Year 2004 (and first ever dispatcher to win that award) but you take care of yourself on your trip. Hold your family close and forget all the little crap which is bound to come up. And if you happen to see a sickle on your trip! Or a realistic human skull replica... I'm just sayin'

And to my mom who has yet to read this: I do appreciate you and I love you very much. You've raised two pretty great sons plus whatever I've turned into. Oh, and you've raised my dad too. He couldn't have gotten where he is today without your support and I think he knows it too.

Anonymous said...

I think what makes the trailer story funnier as an adult, we've all done it. We know to double check, and we know when we get careless sometimes things get broken.

We know better, yet we suffer at our own hands.

While dad tends to suffer more publicly and comedically, he could whoop any of our asses at racquetball.

Mom's blunders are usually larger in scale, (the garage door) or more subtle and borne I suspect more from just simple life events.
(Potato peels clogging the drain all the way to the street...and dad getting to snake it all out.....)

And you are right, dad was the comic to mom's deadpan straight act. Together, mom and dad gave us a great, diverse view, and a good set of role models for life and relationships.

Growing up knowing that Mom, who would happily eat a casserole comprised mostly of celery, loved dad and tortured him unwittingly by that very celery laden casserole, and although he protested, and spat celery out, he sat the the dinner table and engaged with us as a family.

Sure our family may have seemed unconventional, and kooky, and at times it was pretty unedefineable, but today there isn't anything I wouldn't do for either of my brothers, or my parents.

When I go on vacation, I visit them, not out of obligation, but out of desire, they are my friends, and I cherish them all because they have given to me that which I am today.

John Cowart said...

Great tales. Your writting gets better and better.

Eric said...

J, you are so right.

John, thanks. It means a lot.

Anonymous said...

Mother Trucker indeed....I live with a little garage door hanging over my head! This Tuesday evening when I backed into the garage and closed the door I heard the worst metal wrenching sound in my life (worse even than the "wood half way down the driveway" sound)...I lept out of the Explorer raced to the front of the car to see if maybe the door had hit the bumper. That's when I heard Dad coming down the stairs (I'm sure thinking...oh for the love of dog...it hasn't been 10 years!)...

redemption at last..........it wasn't me at all it was the garage door spring that had come unattached on one side.

So now when Dad mutters under his breath about another broken door...I can say with much satisfaction and plenty of whine...."I didn't do it!!

Thanks for the love, love...I do believe what Dad says about you three boys doing as much raising of us as we did of you. And it seems to have worked.

There is something so very awesome about having grown children (first 'cause you never imagine you'll get there)...that you genuinely like as people AND would pick for friends given the option.

E..I laughed until I cried at J-bro's celery casserole bit.

John..thanks for encouraging the boy...I agree he just keeps getting better.

Just feel the love guys!

Anonymous said...

Careful - I may have to resort to my extensive archive of very high resolution young naked Son pictures. Anybody interested ??????? !!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,
Just wanted to let you know that I finisheed Glog this aft4ernoon; thanks for all your encouraging comments along the way.

Anonymous said...

Aside from running into garage doors and raising "4" awesome men, your mother manages the lives of 8 so called mental health professionals on a daily basis. Thanks for breaking her in for us because we could not do what we do without her. Tonight I was sleepless in Eagle River and read many of your posts and you are a gifted writer. It was such a pleasure to get an insight into the family of the Val. Keep blogging

Anonymous said...

Surfing for information on the web is getting more difficult. That is why I really have focused on blogs. It seems that I just get much better information from a good blog post.

Take care,
2004 cover silverado tonneau

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to find information on tonneau covers and found your blog. The information on blogs seems to be very different that what I can find on a normal search engine search. Anyways, I enjoyed your post.

Thanks,
--2005 Ford F150 Tonneau Covers

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Chair lounge office seating tranny order lamictal Jade monkey game Interior designer at ucla Cross country running shirt slogans web development jobs hyde park