Friday, November 25, 2005

Poetic License

Both my mom and J-bro read my Elvis Log story and thought it was strange that I referred to the flaming log recipient as “the Southern Woman.” Better memories than mine remembered that it was actually a Swedish woman. Mom generously suggested it was my “poetic license” and thought it was intentional. I told both of them that it was really just faulty memory. Blonde + Elvis Lover = Southern Woman. Or not.

Another relative, when hearing my mom suggest it was clever “poetic license,” commented along the lines of “Eric uses a lot of poetic license in telling family stories.”

Movie producer and raconteur Robert Evans

reminds us “There are three sides to every story: yours, mine, and the truth.”

That’s what it’s all about, folks. What I remember is what I remember. Feel free to comment on inaccuracies, grammatical errors, my hairstyle and complexion, and pretty much anything else you want to (except criticizing my wife, which is one thing I’m going to bounce off of here).

This blog is just this blog. It’s not THE TRUTH.

When I find the Truth, I shall spread it to the masses like butter on hot toast. Until then, you get this. Do with it what you will.

Happy Holidays!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now wait a minute--not everything is not the truth--some of those stories have factual basis. And your recollection of the truth-is the truth ,so help you.,..... Wait we aren't in court. So the truth is relative--or factual based on relatives, sort of. Or is it just selective memory? I wonder. hmmmm

Anonymous said...

Faulty or not, those memories that you have shape who you are. It is nice to discuss those memories with the family, since I suspect between all of us, we can all piece together the whole story.

It gets harder to do that as we all get older, and move on, and move underground.

As our father learned when we lost Grandma Marge, all that history that isn't shared in the family can end up being lost forever, if not at least very very difficult to figure out.

We are glad that you are bringing up memories for us all to recount, and a fun playful place for us to do so.

Keep up the good work, and we'll keep adding in pieces where they need adding!

John Cowart said...

Your theme here is one reason I have kept a daily (almost) journal for the past 30 years or so. And why I think it's so important to keep a blog -- a fresh written record helps me remember most things -- assuming I understood what was going on the day it happened in the first place.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... delta dental website Black jack king kong http://www.infinitilicenseplatecover.info Buying prescription eyeglasses on line bentley securities corporation Blow brush dryer rotating Sony vaio notebook computer cisco 1712 Abuse child divorce legallodgenet used cisco Proactiv raleigh fl http://www.lcd-television-0.info/farmer-insurance-company.html