Friday, July 22, 2005

History Repeats

Today I watched the movie “Hotel Rwanda.”



Today I remembered the movie “The Killing Fields” and the equally, but differently, moving history lesson featured in Spaulding Gray’s “Swimming to Cambodia.”

Today I remembered the 1930s Germany and the 1970s Uganda and the 1990s Bosnia.

Today I remembered “Mississippi Burning,” and the Watts riots, and the LA riots, and Stonewall, and the Indian wars, and the war on Mormons. I’m not black and I’m not African and I’m not gay and I’m not Native American and I’m not Mormon and I’m not Asian but I am afraid.

Today I saw news reports about NBC’s Andrea Mitchell being bodily removed by armed Sudanese bodyguards in Sudan (in full view of US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice) when she asked the President of Sudan about his role in the Darfur genocide. They do not like those kinds of questions in Sudan.

Today I am grateful for the sheer luck of being born in the United States of America during this time.

Today I wonder when we will ever learn from the past.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband calls it winning the sperm lottery, cuz it's true. Glad to have the lot in life that I do - I realize with all that is out there, I'm pretty damn lucky. Even though I STILL haven't gotten my money tree.... ah, well. what are you gonna do?

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post. as i was mindlessly cruising thru my busy friday at work, i stopped by your blog, and paused for a moment to think about how lucky i am to be doing what i am doing.

thanks for the shot o' perspective. it was just what i needed.

Spinning Girl said...

A wonderful post; this movie changed my thinking forever.