Sunday, May 22, 2005

Justice League

Today:

16:19 hrs. Frantic woman calls from a trailer park saying her 3yo son had been kidnapped by two women in a white car. She had left the child outside unattended for about 10 minutes then asked a neighbor if she had seen him. The neighbor thought it had been the mother who had picked up the child since the mother also owns a white car.
The mother was frantically driving through the area when she called me.

16:20 hrs. I enter the call with this information

16:21 hrs. Dispatcher broadcasts the information on the radio and dispatches several officers

16:23 hrs. While gathering more information I tell mom to go home to wait for us (so we have a point of contact) and take her name and cell phone number.

16:24 hrs. A coworker runs the mother’s name in our statewide computer and comes up with a $2000 misdemeanor warrant for her arrest for leaving the scene of an accident. An audible “awwwwww” comes over the room, so much so that I have to mute my headset so she doesn’t hear. A coworker tells me that mom has a warrant; I tell the coworker that I don’t care about a warrant during a kidnapping. And it’s true, we are not going to arrest the mother of a kidnapped child for a misdemeanor warrant.

16:25 hrs. Mother arrives back to her trailer to discover that the mystery woman in the white sedan was her sister. She tells me with relief that her sister was stupid not to tell her but that it everything was okay and she didn’t need the police.

My focus changes. I tell her that I’m glad the child is safe but, since we’re already en route, we’ll just stop on by to chat with her.

16:29 hrs, officers arrive.

16:37 hrs. officers announce she has been taken into custody for the warrant.

16:52 hrs, mom is taken to jail.

My question to faithful readers: Should I feel bad for being happy that mom got taken to the pokey for letting a 3 year old go unattended for 10 minutes outdoors? I’m not a parent but three seems way way way too young for that. Just the possibility that a kidnapper could take the child is too scary for words.

I’m not saying we should Taser mom. Well, maybe. But for all you parents out there: am I wrong to have been pleased?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not a parent yet, but if I was I'd never ever leave a 3 year old outside unattended for even 1 minute. Gosh how stupid.

K

Anonymous said...

It would depend on why the child was left alone. Some 3 year olds have a pretty good grasp of escaping.

If the kid got out on his own, then she needs better locks.

If she left him out to play without supervision, she needs to meet the business end of Child Protective Services.

xTx said...

if she said it was 10 minutes, it was really 20.

don't feel bad.

idiots should not breed

Eric said...

Jaws - great picture!

I'll use a separate blog entry to address one of your concerns (too long to address here).

Eric said...

oh and xTx - you are probably right about 10 really being 20.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Czci renault espace Hockey insurance Cadillac bar and grill

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Science fair projects computers

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Ativan testing for belly button rings Hair women removal laser Holiday portable outdoor refrigerator hair removal laser equipment Buy acyclovir online Oral question sex Reflexology chair Courtneys webcam laser hair removal manhattan Women's prom dresses Villa rica georgia state farm insurance Chicago wedding announcement and invitations Buy bextra online After effects of prozac