Monday, May 30, 2005

Sometimes words cannot describe the horror

Today a 6 1/2 month old child died of suffocation as the result of rolling off of a bed and getting caught between the bed and the wall.

Since I’ve been a police dispatcher I know of at least half a dozen infants whose parents have been napping with them on an adult bed and rolled over onto them, suffocating them. I have talked to one parent immediately after they woke up and found their lifeless baby.

There is nothing to prepare one for making the 911 call. Parents are either hysterical to the point of being useless or in shock to the point of being useless. I imagine I would be too, although I hope I would snap from “no No NO!” to getting busy with CPR pretty darn quick.

I hope I never find out.

Mothers and fathers: hug your kids soon and often; tell them you love them.

Buy them bicycle helmets and car-seats and make them wear seatbelts. Get rid of window blinds with long cords. Don’t buy old cribs with wide gaps in the rails.

Do all these things and pray for the best. I hope you never call me on 911.

Happier post tomorrow,

E

7 comments:

nita said...

eeee

when Rio was very tiny and crying LOUDLY we let her sleep with us for the rest of one night. i woke up and the corner of my pillowcase was over her face. i almost had a stroke. i didn't sleep for days. i can not imagine....

she sleeps in her crib. all the time. and she doesn't mind one tiny bit so fpfftt on dr sears and his child sleep pit!

xTx said...

oh geez eric....

Anonymous said...

You have done a great job on setting up your Blog. Your site will definately be bookmarked.

I am in the process of setting up a camera cellular phone
site. It's basically a resource site which covers camera cellular phone
related stuff.

Please let me know what you think if you have time to check it out.

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading through your blog and seeing your point of view.

Regards,

horny dog lover

Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a auto insurance quotes texas site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »