Friday, May 06, 2005

Like Shooting Fish in a Barrel


May 4, 12:20 PM (ET)
AMHERST, Ohio (AP) It wasn't Laurie Ralston's resume that got the attention of police. It was her record. Ralston applied Thursday for a job as a dispatcher with the Amherst police department. When they did a background check, police quickly found out she has 17 traffic convictions, including seven speeding tickets and two citations for driving without a license. Ralston was called in Friday for what she was told would be an interview. Instead, she was arrested and charged with failing to appear in court and driving without a license. Ralston said she had no idea police were after her. "It was just a little excessive to have that type of background and try to get a shot at this type of job," Lt. Joseph Kucirek said.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20050504/D89SFCN01.html

I am continually amazed by the sheer number of people in my community who drive with suspended or revoked licenses and/or who drive without insurance. My city has allowed the police to seize cars of subjects driving without a valid license and without insurance –and you’d think that would send the message. Yet daily we tow a dozen or more cars for this very thing.

I can almost sympathize with some of these folks. I can imagine a situation where I was irresponsible enough to lose my license, especially when I was younger and not working directly for The Man.

What I cannot believe is that these people are unaware of their license status or the possibility of a warrant being issued if they fail to go to court or fail to pay their fines.

And applying for a dispatcher job with this hanging over your head? Well, that's such an easy arrest it's not even sporting.